BIAS AMP 2 CPU hog (overloads VST engine) i7-7700k oc'd to 5ghz

• I run Cubase 9 with BIAS FX and BIAS AMP 2. I like to use AMP 2 within FX so I can use the FX with the nicer sounding amp models.

Turns out the BIAS plugs only seem to be optimized for 2 thread operation, so it pegs my first 2 CPU cores, while my other 2 physical cores (and 4 hyperthread threads) don't do squat. Total CPU usage will be less than 30%, but core one and 2 are pegged out and the VST engine is overloaded due to the plugin.

I'm using an RME UFX II. super stable drivers. I7-7700k, one of the fastest single thread CPU's out there even still (just barely slower then the 8700k). I also have it overclocked to 5.0ghz (stock is 4.2).

If i run one dual tone which means 2 total instances of bias amp 2 within Bias FX, at a 128 buffer, VST engine goes to 80+ percent. It's absolutely ridiculous.

You could have a $2000 CPU (i9-7980xe for istance) and still peg out your VST engine because of this plugin.

I isolated it to AMP 2. It was fine with any of the included Bias FX amps. When running 2 instances of AMP 2, the same effect occurs.

I am fairly certain it's the plug in, as I can run other VST's and VSTi's in mass, and they will proportionally increase load across all CPU cores/threads.

Any plans to optimize this to utilize more threads? Even if you just gave it 2 more, that would make all of our lives a lot easier.

Note: If there are no plans to optimize this, I will be asking for a refund on AMP 2 and going in a different direction. This is a huge deal breaker for me.

Thanks!

• I just dropped 4 BIAS AMP2 VSTs into my Gig Performer on a Windows Surface tablet with a non expensive Yamaha interface. Set it to 128 buffer size and I cannot get it to go over 30% of CPU usage for audio.

Not sure what else is going onion your particular case, but it does not seem like a general BIAS AMP2 performance issue. I have different kind of grief with it (namely NO automation parameters at all!), but as far as the performance goes - seems to be solid.

Full disclosure: I am involved in Gig Performer development. I would still encourage you to maybe download the free GP trial and see if you having the same kind of issues if you has your VSTs with it.

• Thanks for the feedback.

My total CPU performance can be at 30%, but 2 out of 8 available threads are pegged while the other 6 aren't doing anything.

May I ask how many cores/threads your tablet has, and if you notice even utilization across all threads, or if one or 2 are used more heavily?

Even when running in stand-alone mode (their own application) it only utilizes a single thread. Even worse :P

0_1523327434693_880707bd-417b-40fa-8f1d-c0534093d03b-image.png

• UPDATE

Bias just confirmed to me that it is absolutely not optimized for multi-threading. They are recommending it to their dev team. I'm not holding my breath.

Looks like your connection to Positive Grid Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.