Got a little shock from amp



  • I don't know if it is a design flaw or is it just a fancy little feature but when I got my guitar on my lap and bent over to take power plug out of spark, strings that were hitting my arm gave me a good little shock when I pull the plug out.



  • @zeroq Well, where do you think they got the name of the amp? :) Do you have the ungrounded power supply? The point of grounding power is to prevent what's happening to you. Instead of that current going to ground via the power supply, it sounds like it's going through you instead. I would think PG would want to send all power supplies as grounded to prevent a major lawsuit. If that zap goes through your heart at just the right time with enough current, well, game over. I would contact support for sure as that's not normal. Sounds like there's some sort of wiring issue internally. Grounding will not fix that but it would prevent the shock. Either way, support is the way to go.



  • @zeroq said in Got a little shock from amp:

    I don't know if it is a design flaw or is it just a fancy little feature but when I got my guitar on my lap and bent over to take power plug out of spark, strings that were hitting my arm gave me a good little shock when I pull the plug out.

    that doesn't sound good. please let us know how you go with support and how we can check that this won't happen to anyone else



  • I do remember at least one other person having a similar issue on this forum. Don't think I saw what happened to them. Maybe they took one too many shocks.



  • I'm getting the same problem - I came here because google found this thread about it.

    It's nothing to do with "bending over to take the power plug".

    If I am sitting with my guitar plugged into the amp, and I brush the strings with my upper arm, I get a small electric shock.

    Note - here in Australia grounded supplies are mandatory: we have three pin power plugs.



  • FWIW I contacted support, as @cbrandst suggested, and the got back immediately (same day) saying they'd send a replacement power adapter...



  • @greenasjade If you are using a properly grounded power supply then the shock you are receiving may be because your guitar isn't properly grounded. Many less expensive guitars and even some more expensive ones are not properly grounded. There are web-sites which explain proper shielding and grounding for guitars and there are places to purchase whatever is needed to fix that problem.