Just me, myself, and I

• Hi. It doesn't say clips, but I would guess that's allowed, even desired, no? I look forward to hearing yours as well.

In my experience, no one is thinking about the guitar like I am, so no one is doing what I am. I grew up listening to pop music. In my 20s I started playing music - metal. A few years later I was taking music classes, and have since thought of music in terms of the Western Art Music tradition.

I play electric guitar because I enjoy it. Sonically and instrumentally I think along the lines of cello and brass. For example:

....though I prefer a richer, fuller tone such as this:

However, the music that speaks most to me is stuff like this:

My music is almost completely improvised, though. Improvisation is a matter of degree. In full, time, rhythm, pitch, and articulation are at your whim. You can create any structures, any gestures, you want. I do - and intend it to sound as clear as possible, snappy and tugging, and articulated in an elegant manner.

A word about tone: 250hz is where an instrument sound gets its meat. The tendency in recent times with electric guitar is to remove everything below about 300hz - so it can 'fit in the mix'.

I refuse that. The VH4 tone stack, plus the G25 412, plus the C414 make for a rich, low mid tone, and rounded treble. The intention here is to simulate that physical harmonic range inherent in natural instruments; to program the ear to hear the electric guitar as a physical body in front of you, vibrating; to make it appear clangier (not clankier), with some tug; and to cover the fizzle in clipping.

• Hi. I've been working up some new tones with B2, a few amp eq schemes and mic positions culminating in a mix of an eq scheme that started with one mic position, with the mic position that came from another eq scheme.

The sound, the quality of the timbre, I have in my head is like this: Imagine a solid metal wire, six feet long, an inch or so thick. Instead of striking it with a mallet, one pulls a baton back and forth over the [string]. The attack is naturally smoother. From attack through release, articulation has a broader range, and I imagine tastier. Having that timbre, and sliding the pick across like two cams coming together, rolling, and donging when they separate. Clear tone emerging from them.

I think I'm getting there....

Looks like your connection to Positive Grid Community Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.